I am really excited because I got a new calling at church to work with the Beehives (12-13 year old girls). I was totally pumped and ready to be the best advisor and friend they have ever seen until I walked into the room. I was so scared and self conscious. These girls are great, but it has been awhile since I have really been around girls that age and I didn't know how to act. I felt like the odd kid out. Don't get me wrong, I am still way excited about this calling, but I was definitely humbled. It is funny how you start to care about the girls before you even really know them. I came home from church Sunday with my mind racing about each of the girls and their personalities. I really look forward to getting to know them and teaching them and I just hope I do half as good as their last teacher. It really reminded me of my Young Women's experience and how great my leaders were. I remember how insecure you can feel at that age and what a turning point it can be in your life. I really think self esteem is one of the most important qualities a girl can have. Without proper self esteem you really have a hard time enjoying life, but I'm not quite sure how to help build up the self esteem of these girls. I know through prayer and time I can help some, but I am really at a loss right now. It is actually almost funny when you think about it, I was never really scared to have my own kids- never scared of child birth or having kids even though I know Andy will be gone most of the time or even making mistakes with my own kids- but I am terrified of making mistakes or missing something with these girls. I guess this will be more challenging than I originally thought, but I know it will be a great learning experience.
4 comments:
awesome calling you'll do great! but teens can smell fear! :) jk have fun!
I heard the ym pres can really crack the whip though, I might be more afraid of her! (ha ha you know I am kidding!)
--Julie
I'm so excited that your in YW. I totally felt the same way when I first went in, but the girls are lots of fun. We'll have a great time and I heard you had fun on the boating act. Just beware of the pres. she can really get on ya!:)
Tara
I'm with the beehives too! Give it a couple of weeks and you'll fit right in...and you'll be very thankful you're not a teenager anymore!
Young Woman's is probably the only calling I am deathly afraid of... oh and gosel doctoring teacher! You'll do great. Good luck!!
P.S. I need you email address. Mine is ski24_7@hotmail.com. I'm going private soon, so send me yours!
Post a Comment